31 December 2009

Britain's worst cinema experience

What a mistake a visit to the Glasgow iMAX turned out to be. Against all odds I was strangely looking forward to seeing a James Cameron movie (Avatar obviously) but my whole evening was spoiled by my worst ever cinema experience. Actually my wife once threw up during a screening of Eternal Sunshine but the cinema staff were very helpful - even after I traumatised two teenage girls when I 'looked' in to the ladies toilet. But the iMAX in Glasgow was rubbish. We arrived later than planned due to heavy football traffic so we were in the second row. We were far too close to the screen, my wife had to leave after an hour. I stayed to the end but gave myself a headache. The temperature was sub-tropical - no really, I was sweating in a cinema. How ridiculous is that? The leg room isn't good - you would feel real guilt squeezing past everyone if you needed the loo. And at the end of the film they made everyone leave by the doors at the back. So you had to climb up the stairs, go out the door and climb down the stairs again to get back to ground level. Meanwhile, members of staff guarded what looked like the natural exits - the ground level doors. One of the staff explained to me that 'people don't listen' when I tried to use the door I was standing next to. Fucking Nazis, I remember thinking.
After all that they have the audacity to charge me £3 to park my car in an ice rink that they call a car park.
I genuinely hope I never go back there again.

No comments: