13 June 2008
I challenge anyone to explain what's really so great about mind mapping software
Call me old fashioned. Call me a luddite. Call me a man who is finding it hard to accept that computers are the greatest invention since the Panasonic breadmaker and have made our lives easier than sliding down a slippy pole on the slippiest day of your life whilst clothed in a vest of slugs. Do so and you would be thrice wrong for I am none of these things. But - I can't see the value of mind mapping software. I can do the same thing with a pencil and some parchment. In fact I can draw many more interesting shapes and introduce themes (I'm thinking animals, denim accessory collections, car parts and so on) which add colour and interest. Of course I can't make it interactive, add links to documents and URL's and share it with the world very easily. But what I can do is think. And it doesn't matter whether I use a pencil or a mouse, I can still think the same. Software doesn't make you better at thinking. Only thinking, listening, experiencing, reading etc makes you better at thinking. So when a colleague thinks about developing mind mapping software I have to question the validity of that enterprise. Surely before going ahead with such an endeavour you have to explore all the possibilities through, say, a mind mapping session? Eh? Where's my pencil?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment